The Greatest Marriage (최고의 결혼): My Current Love




I don’t think I need to mention that I’m not fond of following a drama while it airs. Most dramas are entertaining and fun enough approximately up to episode 8 or 10. After that we usually start the downhill path that will either make us want to curse the writers/directors or stop watching entirely. 

Although sometimes despite our disappointment we’ll give some dramas a second chance depending on whether we hear positive reviews about it or whether it has a happy ending.
At large it’s much wiser to just wait for a drama to end before wasting our time with it. 

Unfortunately knowing doesn’t mean doing.

I should know better than breaking my own rule. Because once you start watching the first episode and you’re hooked, adhering to your principle isn’t that easy. You’ll say: let’s see if the second episode is better. And when it does, you’ll continue to the next episode hoping that it’ll get much better. That’s how it all starts.

I started watching the first episode of The Greatest Marriage simply because I hope to see Park Shi Hyoen (박시연) in a role that will deliver another awesome female lead like her Eun Young character in Coffee House.

And guess what.

Although the first episode is a little shaky at first but by the second episode I totally love it. I like the premise and I like Park Shi Hyoen’s character. A lot.

Here’s a female lead who knows what she wants in her life and not afraid of getting it. I like how she openly says that she likes Park Tae Yun when he asks her why she wants to date him. Note the word like. Not love.

I like how she doesn’t confuse her feelings with love.  

She likes him enough to have him around and even sleep with him. But not enough to sacrifice her free time (me time) for him let alone spending the rest of her life with him.

I like how she refuses to change her clothes into a traditional one when he takes her to see his parents. If being married to this guy means changing her appearances into something that’s really not her, she should say no.

I like how she refuses to hear her parents being insulted by his parents. If being married into a chaebol family means accepting them bad mouthing her family, she should say no.

I like how she coldly tells him to get lost when he dares to tell her to get an abortion when he finds out that she’s pregnant and when she angrily says she doesn’t want to marry him (his family).

If being pregnant means she has to marry the father of the child even when the said father doesn’t inspire her respect or trust – and let’s not forget the fact that she doesn’t love him – she should say no.

This setting reminds me of Bad Couple a little bit. The difference is in the Bad Couple the female lead tricks the male lead in her quest to have his baby.

Cha Ki Young doesn’t trick Park Tae Yun to sleep with her or to have his baby. She doesn’t even try to hide her pregnancy from him and happily informs him that she’s pregnant. She is being fair and square in her dealing with him.

The pregnancy is an accident and not by design.

As much as I like her, I don’t feel the love for both male leads yet. Park Tae Yun (No Min Woo/노민우) is clearly no match for her. She’s too much for him. He loves her from the start despite professing to just wanting a casual relationship.

She on the other hand just wants a casual relationship with him. She never wants marriage. At least not with him even when she carries his child.  And especially not after meeting his parents.

The other male lead Jo Eun Cha (Bae Soo Bin/배수빈) isn’t that great either although I have to admit that he’s rather hard to read at this moment.

Like Park Tae Yun he seems to have more than enough brains but if Park Tae Yun chooses to spend his time harmlessly doing whatever he likes, Jo Eun Cha seems to do whatever he likes without much caring for the consequences.

And whenever he’s caught in the fire it looks like he prefers to take the easy way out to solve his problems. His easy way outs means doing everything that doesn’t require sincerity or integrity.

OMO! That’s why he wants to be a politician! *Light bulb moment*

Despite having Park Tae Yun’s baby (which in kdrama sacred book means that she’s going to end up with him) I don’t see a future between this couple. He clearly loves her from the beginning but I don’t see how her feelings for him could change.

On the other hand, although she hates Jo Eun Cha, and there’s no reason what so ever at this moment to like him, considering how little we know of his personality, I can see a future for this couple.


Despite his sleaziness I long to see the real man underneath. The brains that he uses for useless thing, the heart that he doesn’t use to feel. The talent and skills that he waste for all wrong reasons.

There’s a lot of room for development. 

I’m looking forward to the next episodes and seeing how the story and characters develop. 

ps.
I can't stop myself from posting these pictures of hers. She's so beautiful!

 

Comments