Review (Spoilers Free): The King’s Daughter Soo Baek Yang (제왕의 딸, 수백향)

I’m not a big fan of sageuk but it doesn’t mean I hate it. What I love the most is the fast paced, fun, quirky and fluffy contemporary dramas that could make me giggle and laugh out loud. Dramas where I could ogle the male lead in a mandatory shower scene or just admiring him in an expensive suit.

But now and then I do watch historical drama. The real historical drama not the fusion kind ones. 

What I mean by real historical drama is the like of Dae Jang Geum, Song of the Prince/Seo Dong Yo and Queen Seon Deok.  

I don’t count the fusion dramas as historical drama because although the characters are appropriately dressed in historical wardrobes, the tones, the atmosphere, the background music and sometimes even the language are completely contemporary.

Now, I finally watch another sageuk, The King’s Daughter Soo Baek Yang. Call me shallow, but my one and only reason for watching this daily historical drama is Jo Hyun Jae (조현재).


I’m prepared to endure a boring and horrible show just to see my man. To my surprise The King’s Daughter Soo Baek Yang turns out to be really good.

I love how the story is written. I love how the characters are shown. I love how the conflict is built. But what I love the most is how the strength of love is being shown very early in this show.

What I hate the most besides hateful characters (you wish all the ills in the world to fall upon them and that hell is reserved solely for them) is when the people in power – read the King/Queen – turn evil in their attempt to clench to that power.

I HATE it when the king/the queen turn against their own children because of their suspicions that their own flesh and blood covets their throne.

The emperor in Bu Bu Jing Xin (Startling by Each Step) is a good example of the king I hate because of his actions against his own children. Another perfect example is the queen in Jin Guo Da Jiang Jun (Female General). I abhor her. I loath her.

She’s another reason why I don’t get Jin Guo Da Jiang Jun. She’s not one of those characters you love to hate. In her case I simply hate her.

I guess that’s why I love the main characters in King’s Daughter. Yes, King Dongsong has no love for his cousin Japyung. But Japyung really loves him. He never once covets the throne that is rightfully his.

But then there are Crown Prince Myong Nong and Jin Mu plus Seolnan and Seolhi. I can see the recipe. It’s mouth watering. All I can do is fervently praying that there’s no poison in it.

Watching a sageuk is a difficult commitment for someone who loves a happy ending. Particularly if the male lead is the King (future King) or the female lead is the Queen (future Queen). More often than not the male and female leads don’t end up together.

Jo Hyun Jae does end up with Lee Bo Young in Seo Dong Yo but sadly the show shows us how she dies early after their marriage.

If I could ask two things from the King’s Daughter – I did get my first wish for a strong female lead – but it’s a natural thing for a human to be greedy, I want:

1. Jo Hyun Jae to stay alive.
2. Jo Hyun Jae to be with the woman he loves.


In case you don’t know, I LOVE it when writers do some twisting in the historical drama that makes us the audience happy. I watch drama not to learn about history but to be happy so please I beg you make me a happy fan.

ps:
Millions thanks to all great subbers of King’s Daughter. Without you we wouldn’t be able to enjoy this great drama.

Comments