Flying Shoes: Lesson Learned

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the President of the United States dodging flying shoe over his head. It’s not an act in one of Monthy Python’s films. It’s the real time President who’s ducking that lowly missile. Not just once, but twice. Though he got a little help when the second missile flew his way, for the second pair of shoe was handily deflected by his counter part, namely, the Prime Minister of Iraq.

My mind was frozen for a few seconds it was completely empty of any thoughts - rather similar with my first reaction when I saw the twin tower hit by those planes right when I was mulling over my boring breakfast in our boarding house in Brussels.
But this time I was in the middle of a rather important task of grooming myself before setting off to work when my TV set showed that reality show.

Unlike 9/11 which left me in utter daze for quite sometimes, this time I got my faculty in relatively short time. Unfortunately, the one and foremost emotion that I felt was not to my liking at all. I was inundated with embarrassment.

I’m not an Iraqi, I’m not an American, and I don’t even like George W. Bush! I shouldn't I feel so embarrass by what happened to him. He’s the one who should be thinking about digging hole and hide for the rest of his Presidency.

Nonetheless, I do feel embarrass. Regardless of the fact that he’s probably one of the most hated person in the world right now for what he did to the Iraqi people – so perhaps deserved those shoes as a small payment for his deed – and I did my fair share of praying for his eternal damnation, I strongly feel that being a President he should not be brought so low in public.

However, the incident served as another proof of one of my beliefs that one shall pay or be rewarded for whatever one did. Sooner or latter. Other people may not know that those powerful people who abuse their power had already got punishment from the Almighty in their private lives (sooner) before getting their dues in the hereafter (latter).

But when those punishments made public, the whole world could see it. Personally, I think it was one of the worst punishments one could get. George W. Bush pays no respect to human rights, he humiliated his enemies in the most inhumane ways one could imagine (e.g. Abu Ghraib case) now he got his fair share of embarrassment.

Having said that, I must say that no matter how much we hate someone, we should never forget what is right and what is wrong. The fact that the one we hate do wrong bad things doesn’t give us a free pass to do and act like them. Nothing justified wrong bad things not even when it’s done by the victims. Once we lost this understanding than we have crossed the border and lost our humanity and become exactly like those we hate.

Comments